In this webinar, we talk about how to strike a balance between providing a safe and engaging environment for children to come back to when reopening. Our special guests, Amanda Shroyer and Corrine Manning, share their experience and things they’ve learned from the process.
- Safe & Unsafe Toys During COVID-19
- Guide For A Contactless Center
- Lakeview Montessori COVID-19 Parent Handbook
Key Takeaways from Amanda Shroyer (Life’s Little Treasures, IN)
- A positive attitude is key to helping children adapt to all the new procedures at the center.
- You’re the expert of your classroom – ECEs know their rooms and kids best and that’s key to supporting
- Get creative and make the process fun! Being silly with the kids helps them get into the new routines.
Key Takeaways from Corrine Manning (Lakeview Montessori, ON)
- Preparation is key – Keeping the lines of communication open with parents and staff helped tremendously with a smooth reopening process.
- Balancing the Montessori method & safety requirements meant that they had to adjust the materials available to children while keeping the method the same.
- Allowing teachers to make their own decisions regarding wearing masks while teaching works with each person’s comfort level and limits unnecessary anxiety in the environment.
Shoutouts from the audience
Common sense, Lysol and bleach water will get us all through this!
We have creted alot of calming sensory bottles and baggies. We moved furniture to create pocket play areas instead of the open concept we use to have.
We are breaking up our outdoor space into 3 sections so each group has their own outdoor space. Each space will have a sensory table, tables, and equipment to play on. They will get to spend a week in each section.
We started with very small class size in a staggered scheduel, some in the morning and itehrs in the afternoon. Prior to re-opening, we created videos for families and did classroom tours on the video so families are aware of what to expect. It was pretty smooth on our first day.
Want to connect with your ECE community?
Join the ECE Professionals Slack Group to share ideas, connect with like-minded people, and be part of a growing community. Join here.
The HiMama child care app helps to streamline your digital parent communications. Book a consultation with us today to learn how we can support your child care center during this time.