Official New Requirements for Ontario’s RECE’s
Under the Early Childhood Educators Act, 2007, Ontario’s College of Early Childhood Educators has a duty to “establish and enforce professional standards and ethical standards that are applicable to members of the College”. They also have a legislative duty to “provide for the ongoing education of members of the College”. In order to work towards these requirements, Regulation 359/15: Continuous Professional Learning came into effect on January 1st, 2016.
As of September 1st 2016, all registered early childhood educators (RECEs) are now required to participate in the Continuous Professional Learning (CPL) program.
What is the Continuous Professional Learning (CPL) Program?
The College of Early Childhood Educators’ Continuous Professional Learning program is designed to complement and add structure to the ongoing professional development opportunities that RECEs pursue each and every day. The CPL program is intended to support educators in meeting their ethical and professional responsibilities so they can better provide quality care and education to children and their families. Regardless of their role, RECEs will be encouraged to engage in continuous professional growth and leadership training.
As an RECE, participation in the CPL program will demonstrate to the public, employers and families that you are keeping up to date with your skills, research and knowledge in order to provide a high standard of education. The College of Early Childhood Educators has put together a great video summarizing the new requirement.
What Do The New CPL Requirements Mean?
Starting on September 1st, 2016, any members of the College of Early Childhood Educators are required to complete the first step of the CPL program. This first step is the Expectations for Practice Module (2016 edition), and must be completed within the first year following their initial registration or renewal date. Beginning on September 1st, 2017, members must begin the CPL Portfolio Cycle and complete it over a period of two years following their renewal date.
All College members must complete the following Continuous Professional Learning program requirements in the order below. All program requirements apply to every member of the College of Early Childhood Educators, whether or not they are currently employed as an RECE.
- Expectations for Practice Module (2016 edition)
- Self-Assessment Tool (2017 edition)
- Professional Learning Plan (2017 edition)
- Complete the activities set out in the Professional Learning Plan
- Record of Professional Learning (2017 edition)
For further information on the Continuous Professional Learning Program and how it impacts you as an RECE, or to learn more about your next steps, visit the College of Early Childhood Educators website.
- 7 Challenges of Being a Preschool Teacher
- Professional Development Opportunities For Early Childhood Educators
- How to Stay Current as an Early Childhood Educator
- Early Childhood Education Career Path Possibilities
- 3 Reasons to Pursue an Early Childhood Educator Degree
- How to Create a Professional Portfolio for Educators
- 5 Tips to Make Your Educator Portfolio Stand Out
- What is an Early Childhood Educator?