In this session of the HiMama Helps Webinar series, we talk about how to manage your mental health during the COVID-19 crisis. With special guests Beth Cannon and Cori Berg, we talk about the different emotions that come up for educators who are working as essential service providers as well as those who are social distancing in quarantine.
You can either:
- Download the recording here – if you want to pause or fast forward to take notes.
- Watch it on WebinarJam – Includes chat comments on the side.
- How To Be An ECE Leader During COVID-19
- Beth’s COVID-19 Facebook Community for Faith Based & Non-Profit Schools [Facebook Group]
- ECE from the heart with Cori Berg [Facebook Group]
- The Survive To Thrive Reflection Journal [PDF resource]
- Full COVID-19 Resource Hub
Key Takeaways from the Q&A with Beth Cannon
- Prioritize your health – make sure you’re drinking your water, moving and breathing!
- Take control of your mindset with this acronym:
Control – release control and accept what you can and can’t control
Open – your heart to possibilities
Victories – celebrate them and practice gratitude
Imagine – new possibilities that can come from this
Determine – who YOU want to be when this is over!
- Take this time to reflect on how you want to become a better version of yourself! Survive now to thrive later on.
Beth is passionate about empowering women everywhere. She is a trainer and presenter who delivers keynote speeches and workshops to help her audience connect their passion with their purpose and give teams the confidence to collaborate and communicate. She’s also a certified yoga teacher! You can connect with her on her website or Facebook Group.
Key Takeaways from the Q&A with Cori Berg
- Reality & hope – balancing these two things are key to your mental health. You have to put safety first at all times, while looking out for the best.
- Do what feels right for you – that can mean exercise or blanket therapy on your couch!
- It’s okay not to have all the answers right now and it is not your responsibility to fix everything.
Cori Berg is an Early Childhood Education specialist who has served the field as a teacher, director, advocate, and trainer for over 25 years. She is most widely known for her work on resilience in supporting teams. She can be found at ECE from the Heart on Facebook where she has support resources for schools in the pandemic.
Superstar comments from our audience
I started baking and sending it to seniors in my neighbourhood.
I made a video about facemasks that started with a social story explaining WHY we need to wear masks. Then I collected pictures off all of my co-workers wearing a face mask. I added the photos to the video and did a voice over to make it a game “Can you guess who this is? That’s right! It’s Ms. _____!” then I added in clips of myself sewing a face mask so the children could see the process of a swatch of fabric becoming a mask. My parents gave great feedback about the children becoming less frightened/concerned about masks!
I DO THIS (Beth’s) BREATHING EXERCISE WITH MY KIDS. WE CALL IT THE ROLLER COASTER AND THEY LOVE IT!!
I want to be more mindful person, not only towards others but also myself. Be more aware of who I am and what I need.
Want to connect with your ECE community?
Join the ECE Professionals Slack Group to share ideas, connect with like-minded people, and be part of a growing community. Join here.
The HiMama child care app helps to streamline your digital parent communications. Book a consultation with us today to learn how we can support your child care center during this time.