In this webinar, we welcomed Madeleine Hutchison, RECE, MA Early Childhood Studies. Maddie discussed how honoring and empowering children’s rights in early childhood education and care is crucial in providing a healthy development in the first 5 years of life. Maddie provides our audience with tips on how to create a rights-respecting environment and ways to empower children in the classroom.
🎤Our Special Guest!
Madeleine Hutchison, BASc Child, Youth & Family
🧪Key Learning Outcomes From Madeleine
Children’s four core rights as outlined in the United Nations Convention on the Rights of The Child
• Article 2: Right to Non- Discrimination
• Article 3: Best Interests of The Child
• Article 6: The Right to Survival and Development
• Article 12: The right to form and express their views freely in all matters affecting the child
How to create a rights-respecting environment in the classroom
• Rights Respecting Language
• Child participation in decision making
• Model consent
• Respect bodily autonomy
• Child-led learning
• “Can I pick you up?”
• “I have to move your body because….”
• “Can I take a photo of your artwork?”
• Teach simple words like “no” & “stop” and demonstrate active listening to these words
• Teach children to ask permission and never force a child to hug, kiss or touch anybody
- [Instagram Accounts] – Sex Positive Families and Consent Parenting
- [Books] –
“I have the Right to Be A Child” – Alain Serres
“Peaceful Fights for Equal Rights” – Rob Sanders
“Say Something” – Peter H. Reynolds
📅What’s Next on HiMama Helps?
Space is limited and you don’t miss out on our next webinar, register today to reserve your spot!
🖥️ Watch Recording & 🎓 Certificate
Click below to get the slides, certificate and recording sent right to your inbox!
⭐Connect with us!
Running a Child Care Centre is Hard…
We’d love to make it
a little much easier! Did you know that parents are increasingly evaluating childcare centers on whether they offer digital parental communication, photo and video updates, and contactless check-in and billing? The HiMama child care app helps to streamline your digital parent communications, join the family today and get a quote!