In addition to your classroom’s learning centers for science, reading, writing, and crafting, you will likely want to incorporate an area for children to engage in dramatic play.
What Role Do Prop Boxes Play in Dramatic Play?
With prop boxes, educators can help support meaningful play and imaginative experiences. By assembling themed prop boxes, teachers can set the stage for children to act out roles and explore scenarios that naturally assist in the development of language, social and emotional skills and more.
Dramatic play is much more than playing dress up – children can acquire new skills, explore new environments, and investigate adult roles by using the interesting materials they find in prop boxes. Try to incorporate both clothing (so children can really take on the role) and objects (so they can act out the role).
How to Put Together Prop Boxes for Dramatic Play
Here, you’ll find a list of example themes that can be incorporated in your classroom’s prop boxes for dramatic play. However, the only limit is your imagination when it comes to prop boxes! You may want to create prop boxes that align to the themes you’re exploring in your curriculum, or assemble collections that are better suited to younger or older students based on the ages within your classroom. Use the following themes and prop ideas as inspiration for your unique collections:
- The Beach: Sunglasses, sun hat, beach towels, picnic basket, beach ball, buckets and shovels
- Eye Doctor: Eye chart, glasses, toy doctor’s kit, doctor’s coat, prescription pad
- The Farm: Straw hat, overalls, stuffed animals, pail and shovel, play fruits and vegetables
- Construction Workers: Orange vests, hard hats, play tools, tool box, safety glasses, gloves
- Post Office: Envelopes, stamps, boxes, packing tape, mailbox, bubble wrap, postman hat
- Hair Salon: Empty shampoo bottles, apron, hairdressing cape, combs, hair clips, appointment book
- The Office: Desk supplies, notepads, phone, file folders, stapler, pens, briefcase
- Grocery Store: Toy cash register, play money, grocery baskets, play food, egg cartons, grocery bags