As part of your routine spring cleaning this season, why not consider some easy ways to create a green child care environment? The following are some simple tips you can apply to your child care facility to create a healthier and more eco-friendly space for everyone.
- Start your eco-friendly changes by talking about going green with your students. Plan fun, eco-friendly activities centered around natural and environmental topics to begin the discussion. For example, you could bring in locally sourced vegetables, have children identify them, help wash and prepare them and compost the leftovers when finished.
- Switch your traditional cleaning products for eco-friendly, non-toxic and biodegradable versions. There are plenty of greener cleaners on the market which work just as well as your current products. Or, create your own homemade cleaners using basic ingredients like vinegar, baking soda, water and mild detergents.
- Become more energy efficient by switching older lightbulbs to low voltage compact fluorescent lightbulbs which require less energy and have a longer lifespan. Also, ensure that staff and children are conscious of their energy usage and encourage powering lights, computers and other appliances off when they are not in use.
- Promote proper recycling methods and sorting of recyclables. Allow children to find new ways to reuse recyclable materials, from using old boxes and containers for storage, to using recycled paper, egg cartons and natural materials to make creative crafts.
- Revamp your center menu by choosing locally sourced or organic foods wherever possible. Strategically planning your menu to incorporate these types of foods can help reduce your center’s carbon footprint and results in less waste and packaging.
- Planning renovations for your child care center? When available, choose non-toxic, green building materials such as low-VOC paints, formaldehyde-free flooring, and recycled products to create a safer and more sustainable environment.
- Another great way to reduce your center’s environmental impact is to switch from paper reporting and documentation to digital reports, newsletters and forms. With a child care app such as HiMama, you can save paper by sending updates directly to parents via text or email in real time. You’ll never have to worry about wasting paper or misplaced documents again.
For more tips on creating a green child care environment, or to discover more about HiMama and how our app can help you manage paperwork in a more eco-friendly way, get in touch with us today! We’d be happy to answer any questions you have about moving your documentation into the digital age.